Need-based financial aid awards – 2018
- To receive a need-based award, follow the instructions below and submit your materials on time.
- It is extremely rare that we are able to award any camper a “full ride” aid award
- It is also extremely rare that we are able to award any camper an amount that covers most of the cost of a program
- Financial aid awards are given to partially defray the cost of a program, not to cover all or most of the cost of a program
Applying for a Need-Based Financial Aid Award
1. Register and Pay Your Deposit
No financial aid applications will be considered without the camper first paying a deposit for the program the student wishes to attend, which you can access at http://tinyurl.com/UTNIFAppFee
Even though the $250 is listed as nonrefundable – we will refund deposits to financial aid applicants that don’t receive any/enough financial aid and are ultimately unable to attend the UTNIF because of financial need. So if you apply for financial aid – and ultimately still can’t attend the camp because of cost – we will refund your $250 deposit.
2. Submit Your Application Materials All Together – As Attachments to One Email – By March 30th, 2018
Because our ability to provide assistance is limited, it is important that we fully understand your needs and that the parent/guardian give us a complete picture of the household situation in their letter explaining the request for financial assistance. These materials are completely confidential and will not be seen by anyone but the camp coordinator and director and they will only be used for making financial aid award decisions. Submit your complete request for financial aid by March 30th, 2018. We will notify all applicants about awards on May 4th, 2018. The Financial Aid application packet should consist of all of the following:
- A letter from at least one parent or legal guardian which sets forth in as much detail as possible the reasons for your request for financial assistance
- A personal letter from the student expressing a desire to attend the UTNIF
- A letter of recommendation from the students’ coach or a representative from the school confirming suitability, merit, etc. If you don’t yet have a relationship with a contact at your school, any family friend or mentor to your student may write this letter instead
- A copy of the first page only of the parents’/legal guardians’ IRS 1040 form and/or any other official verification documents that you personally wish to provide that demonstrate need. On your IRS form, we’re simply looking to see your number of dependents and gross income. Please do not submit your entire tax return form; we do not wish to be in possession of these sensitive and personal documents and we do not need them to make financial aid decisions.